Tourism satellite account
Last updated: October 2014
The Tourism Satellite Account (TSA) 2014 provides a picture of the role tourism plays in New Zealand, with information on the changing levels and impact of tourism activity. It presents information on tourism's contribution to the New Zealand economy in terms of expenditure and employment.
Summary Year to March 2014 (released October 2014)
- International tourism expenditure contributed $10.3 billion (15.3 per cent) to New Zealand’s total exports.
- Domestic tourism expenditure increased 3.2 per cent ($419 million) to $13.4 billion.
- Tourism generated a direct contribution to GDP of $8.3 billion, or 4.0 per cent of GDP.
- The indirect value added of industries supporting tourism generated an additional $6.5 billion for tourism, or 3.1 per cent of GDP.
- The tourism industry directly employed 94,100 full-time equivalents (FTEs), or 4.7 per cent of total employment in New Zealand.
- Tourists generated $1.8 billion in GST revenue.
The Tourism Satellite Account: 2014 incorporates revisions made to the International Visitors Survey expenditure and international student expenditure (consistent with the definition of a tourist). These have resulted in changes to the value of international tourism expenditure in the Tourism Satellite Account back to 1999. Revisions have also been made to domestic tourism expenditure. Changes to tourism expenditure have also led to revisions in tourism employment back to 2001.
More detailed TSA data and technical information is available on the Statistics NZ website.
2014 Tourism Satellite Account Tables
Note | Tables 17-24 contain detailed tables for the year ended March 2011.
2013 Tourism Satellite Account Tables
Note | Tables 16-23 contain detailed tables for the year ended March 2010.
2012 Tourism Satellite Account Tables
Note | Tables 16–23 contain detailed tables for the year ended March 2008. Tables 24 - 31 contain detailed tables for the year ended March 2009 - the latest year for which detailed “supply and use tables” are available.
2011 Tourism Satellite Account Tables
Past editions from the Tourism Satellite Account can be downloaded from this archive.