Home > Sectors & industries > Technology & communication > Fast broadband > Ultra-Fast Broadband Initiative
Document Actions
 

Ultra-Fast Broadband Initiative

Background and implementation of Ultra-Fast Broadband Initiative

[thumbnail image] Ultra-fast broadband. The Ultra-Fast Broadband Initiative is a government programme to expand and develop New Zealand’s broadband services.

Ultra-fast broadband will bring fibre optic technology to homes, schools, hospitals, marae and businesses.

By 2020, 75 percent of New Zealanders will be connected to ultra-fast broadband.  Schools, hospitals and 90 percent of businesses will be connected by 2015.  Homes and the remaining 10 percent of businesses will be connected by 2019.

The Ultra-Fast Broadband will enable downlink speeds of at least 100 Mbps (megabits per second), and uplink speeds of at least 50 Mbps.  Downlink is the rate you can receive information, and uplink is the rate its sent.

The government is contributing $1.35 billion to the initiative with significant amounts of private co-investment also being contributed by the government’s Ultra-fast Broadband partners.

Crown Fibre Holdings monitors Ultra-Fast Broadband deployment and the contracts with 'local fibre companies' (the companies that will roll out the new network in partnership with the government).

 

Why fibre optic technology has been chosen for New Zealand

Fibre is a durable, general purpose technology that will allow the broadband network to reach speeds of at least 100 Mbps initially.

Fibre optic-based communications technology provides speed, reliability and can carry large amounts of different types of information.

Other communications technology, such as copper, cable, satellite and fixed wireless networks, are unlikely to be able to meet the government’s ultra-fast broadband objectives.

 

Benefits of ultra-fast broadband

Broadband improvements can increase economic activity and productivity.

The Internet has become part of the way New Zealanders live, learn and do business.

We’re hungry for faster Internet speed and the ability to exchange large amounts of information.  There is also a desire to find faster and better ways to search, process and use information.

New technologies put increasing demands on the capacity on the broadband network infrastructure.

 

Roll out schedule

Local fibre companies have been selected to undertake the roll out of broadband in their respective coverage areas.

Read more about Roll out schedule

FAQs

Questions and answers about New Zealand's Ultra-Fast Broadband Initiative.

Read more about FAQs

[icon] Information.  Find out more

Visit the Crown Fibre Holdings website

 

Last updated 2 August 2012

Cyber security

The National Cyber Policy Office within the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet now has lead responsibility for developing cyber security policy advice for government.

Read more...