In October 2010, the New Zealand Government and Warner Bros announced a strategic partnership to enable the two Hobbit movies directed by Sir Peter Jackson to be made in New Zealand.
The agreement with Warner Bros included:
- widening the criteria for the Large Budget Screen Production Grant to improve New Zealand’s competitiveness as a film destination for very large budget productions
- the inclusion of a marketing featurette about New Zealand on all Hobbit DVDs
- the amendment of employment law to clarify the distinction between independent contractors and employees as it relates to the film production industry
- the holding of the world premiere in New Zealand
- formation of a strategic partnership between the government and Warner Brothers to work together to promote New Zealand as both a film production and tourism destination.
The agreement presents an opportunity for New Zealand to be promoted on the world stage as a film and tourism destination.
Find out more