Current work relating to standards and conformance
We lead policy on standards and conformance. We participate on trade agreements that relate to standards and conformance with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Trade, including:
- The World Trade Organization Technical Barriers to Trade Agreement,
- ASEAN Consultative Committee on Standards and Quality,
- Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC),
- Closer economic partnerships and free trade agreements.
2012 Standards and Conformance Infrastructure Review
We are currently reviewing New Zealand's standards and conformance infrastructure. The purpose of the review is to develop proposals for a viable and well-functioning standards system that meets the needs of regulators, the industry and consumers into the foreseeable future.
On 14 March 2013, we released a discussion document. The discussion document seeks feedback on proposals to enhance the delivery of Standards by New Zealand’s national standards body (NSB).
To help with our analysis of issues, we previously sought input from a range of standards users (see summary below).
Find out more
- 2012 Standards and Conformance Infrastructure Review - Discussions on submissions [181 KB PDF]
- Terms of Reference: 2012 Review of the New Zealand Standards and Conformance Infrastructure [163 KB PDF]